Be An Archivist: What You Really Need!
If you're passionate about preserving important historical documents and material, then you'll enjoy a career as an archivist. They are trained in researching historical facts and appraise the asset that they have collected. They also store the information appropriately. The research that is being maintained and examined can be in any form like letters, photographs, audio recordings, documents, or videos.
Curriculum and Core Subjects
To become an archivist, you study a mix of Archival Theory, Economics, History, Information Studies, Law, Management and Technology.
Eligibility Criteria and Higher Studies
You typically need a master's degree in a program like archival science, history, or library. Some colleges and universities offer a specific degree program of archival studies. You must also gain archiving experience through an internship or volunteer work while you are pursuing your degree.
Archivist Skills required
You'll need these skills to become an Archivist :
- Good communication skill in order to encourage a range of users.
- Keen interest in history.
- The ability to skim and understand unique range of material.
- Research skills to help users understand and access materials.
- Attention to accuracy and detail
- A logical approach to identify and classify the material.
- Project management skills.
- Good IT skills.
- The ability to anticipate and respond to changing needs.
Archivist Job Prospects
These are some of the Job scopes for an archivist:
- Film Archivist
- Reference Archivist
- Photo Archivist
- You can also become an assistant Archivist
Archivists, on average, can earn a salary ranging from Rs. 3 lakh to Rs. 5 lakh annually.
Check out the top 10 universities offering courses that can help you become a successful archivist:
- Indian Institute of Science, Bengaluru
- Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi
- Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
- University of Hyderabad
- University of Calcutta
- Jadavpur University, Kolkata
- Anna University, Chennai
- Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham, Coimbatore
- Manipal Academy of Higher Education, Manipal
- Savitribai Phule Pune University, Pune