Career Spotlight: Learn About Being an Audiologist!
When people think about audiologists, they probably think of someone who tests hearing and fits hearing aids. While it's true that audiologists can help with those issues, their expertise and the services they provide are a whole lot broader. Audiology is the branch of science dealing with disorders related to hearing and balance. They are professionals who primarily provide health care for these disorders. They certify hearing impairments and prescribe hearing aids for them. However, the expertise of audiologists is not limited to hearing disorders and includes balance related issues as well. Let's dive into the article to know more about this career.
Eligibility Criteria and Higher Studies
Aspiring audiologists must earn a doctorate to begin practicing. The doctoral degree in audiology is a four-year graduate program that the candidates can enter into, while having a bachelor's degree in any field.
Curriculum and Core Subjects
Some of the core subjects are:
- Introduction to Speech & Language Pathology
- Introduction to Audiology
- Basic Human Anatomy and Physiology
- Basic Acoustics and Electronics
- Introduction to Linguistics
- Psychology-related to speech and Hearing
- Speech Pathology
Audiologists Skills Required
Some of the essential skills required are:
- Excellent Communication Skills to Communicate with Patients, Despite Potential Hearing Issues
- Critical-Thinking Skills
- Problem-Solving Skills
- Excellent Bedside Manner
Audiologists Job Prospects
Some of the job titles are:
- Senior Audiologist
- Staff Audiologist
- Audiologist (Part-Time)
- Clinical Audiologist
Audiologists can earn a salary ranging from Rs. 9 lakh to Rs. 11 lakh per year.
Some of the top universities in India to pursue audiology as a career are:
- All India Institute for Speech and Hearing (AIISH), Mysore
- Ali Yavar Jung National Institute for the Hearing Handicapped (AYJNIHH), Secunderabad
- Topiwala National Medical College, Mumbai
- Manipal College of Allied Health Sciences (MCOAHS), Manipal