How to Become a Biochemist: Career Roadmap
You must be thinking, what does a biochemist do? A biochemist is someone who studies the physical and chemical principles of living things and biological processes such as growth, cell, development, and heredity.
- They typically plan and conduct complex projects in basic and applied research.
- They also manage laboratory teams and monitor the quality of their work.
- Analyze, Isolate, and synthesize proteins, enzymes, DNA, and other molecules.
- Prepare technical reports, recommendations based on their research and research papers.
- Research the effects of substances such as hormones, drugs and food on tissues and biological processes.
- Present research findings to engineers, scientists, and other colleagues.
Would you make a good biochemist? Let's find out!
Curriculum and Core Subjects
To become a biochemist, you study a mix of physical chemistry, chemical literature, and the liberal arts as well as elective courses in life sciences.
Eligibility Criteria and Higher Studies
In order to become a biochemist, you must have passed higher secondary education or 10+2 with biology and maths as subjects with a minimum of 50 percent marks. Later you need to pursue a bachelor's and master's in Science in Biochemistry.
Biochemist Skills Required
Biochemists should also possess the following specific qualities:
- Problem-Solving skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Critical- Thinking skills
- Math skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Analytical skills
Biochemist Job Prospects
Some of the job prospects are:
- Biomedical Scientist
- Forensic Scientist
- Research Scientist
- Scientific Laboratory Technician
A fresher can earn ranging from Rs. 3 lakh to Rs. 5 lakh per year and an early career biochemist with 1- 4 years of experience can earn an average of Rs. 6 lakh to 8 lakh per year.
Some of the top universities are:
- Vikram University, Ujjain
- Shridhar University, Pilani
- Mohamed Sathak AJ College of Arts and Science, Chennai
- Osmania University, Hyderabad
- Assam Down Town University, Guwahati