Lawyer: Build A Career As An Advocate And Fight For Justice!
People aspire to be lawyers due to inspiration from great Mahatma Gandhi to Barack Obama, the list of legendary individuals who have used this profession for creating.
Gone are the days when a career in law only meant wearing a black robe and courtroom fights. The lawyers have moved from swanky corporate offices to jobs in media, corporate, television, etc.
What do you need to be a good lawyer?
- Good communication skills - both oral and written.
- A lawyer must also be fond of reading and research
- You need to have is logical reasoning
- Your personality has to be smart, presentable and vocal
Careers in Law
- Litigation: The traditional ?practice of law? in the courts can include taxation, constitution, family, etc. One can work on appellate work, trial-level practice, civil litigation or criminal cases.
- Corporate Counsel: One can work with as an in-house legal counsel, drafting, vetting, and negotiating contracts; ensuring and monitoring compliance with rules and laws; and handling legal disputes.
- Public Sphere: Government Agencies, Public Sector Undertakings, Public and Nationalized banks, etc.
- Law Firms: As a legal consultant one advises clients about their legal rights and recourses as well as other legal matters this can be public or private.
- Social Work: One may work with NGOs and Civil Society Organizations on issues based on environmental protection, gender concerns, caste discrimination, employment, working conditions, marginalization of various sections of the society, etc.
- Media: Legal journalism covers legal proceedings in courts, arbitration events, criminal matters, etc., which are disseminated to the public.
- Academics: Academic legal experts impart legal knowledge, work on research projects and write legal expertise papers and blogs
Education and Training:
Any student can pursue a legal course after completing an undergraduate course in any discipline or pursue a complete 5-year integrated law course.
- Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.)
- Integrated undergraduate degrees - B.A. LL.B., B.Sc. LL.B., BBA. LLB., B.Com. LL.B.
- Master of Laws (LL.M.)
- Master of Business Law, Integrated MBL-LLM/ MBA-LLM
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.)