Physicists and Astronomers: Career Path and Education Information!
Jumping into the field of physics and astronomy as a career can seem challenging, especially for precocious high schoolers with a passion for the field. It's easy to get interested in astronomy as a kid?after all, what's cooler than monster black holes, stars, swirling nebulas, planets and galaxies? And what can't be accessed through online videos or books can be enjoyed through the simple and visceral pleasure of a clear night.
There are all sorts of amazing sights in the sky, what's not to love? As soon as curious young minds dip their toes past the pretty pictures, they're bound to find that the world of the professional astronomer is full of complicated theories. Let's dive into the article to get more information in the field that you're interested in.
Eligibility Criteria and Higher Studies
Candidates aspiring to be an astronomer or a physicist must acquire a bachelor's degree, typically in astronomy, astrophysics, physics or a related field.
Curriculum and Core Subjects
Some of the core subjects are:
- Linear Algebra
- Computer Science
Physicist and Astronomer Skills Required
Some of the skills required are:
- Problem-Solving Skills
- Strong Math and Science Skills
- Analytical Skills
- Ability to Work with the Team
- Software Skills
Physicist and Astronomers Job Prospects
Careers related to the field are:
- Biochemists and Biophysicists
- Chemists and Materials Scientists
- Computer and Information Research Scientists
- Computer Hardware Engineers
- Electrical and Electronics Engineers
- Materials Engineers
- Mathematicians and Statisticians
Physicist and Astronomers Salary
A Physicist or an Astronomer can earn a salary ranging from Rs. 8 lakh to Rs. 10 lakh per year.
Top Physics and Astronomy Colleges in India are:
- Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Chennai
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Delhi
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kanpur
- Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR), Mumbai
- Delhi University
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kharagpur
- Indian Institute of Space Science & Technology (IIST), Trivandrum