Tech Tuesday: 5G - Evolution, Benefits & Challenges
It started with 1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and now make way for 5G, we are at the 5th Generation of technology. 3G has been around for a while. Amidst the competition to get access to 4G at affordable rates, 5G has made its way in the market. People?s internet consumption needs have grown and to keep up 5G technology has raised the bar.
If you are wondering what the entire buzz around 5G is, keep reading!
Who Invented 5G? To answer this question, no person or entity single-handedly invented 5G.
When Was 5G First Used? April 2019
Evolution Of 5th Generation Of Cellular Networks
1G: In 1980, 1G enabled voice calls.
2G: In 1990, 2G enabled voice calls and SMS.
3G: In 2000, 3G facilitated mobile web browsing.
4G: In 2010, with 4G mobile video consumption and higher data speed were possible.
5G: In 2020, 5G promises to drive digitisation among industries and enhance user experience.
How Fast Is 5G?
While the 4G/LTE speed is 100 Mbps, 5G offers a maximum speed of 10 Gbps (1 Gbps = 1000 Mbps) in the world. However, in India 5G can provide about 2 Gbps.
5G Frequency Bands: This directly impacts the speed and coverage of the network.
- The high-band 5G operates at 25 to 39 GHz and delivers speeds as high as 1.8 Gbps. Since these millimetre wave transmitters have limited range, they need small transmitters for deployment; they are apt for urban areas.
- The mid-band 5G operates at 2.5 to 3.7 GHz and delivers speeds between 100 to 900 Mbps. This network is the most preferred and will be implemented in urban and densely populated rural areas.
- The low-band 5G operates at 600 to 850 MHz and delivers a speed of about 50 to 250 Mbps. This is not a preferred frequency band.
Latest technology trends are bound to be scrutinised; let?s understand the advantages and challenges in-depth.
Advantages Of 5G Technology
- The 5G network will connect people and technologies.
- All other technologies resulting from automation and technology can be controlled on one platform. Internet of Things (IoT), Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Virtual Reality (VR) can be seamlessly enabled by using 5G.
- Self-driven cars will soon be a reality.
- 5G can enable holographic technology.
- Doctors can perform remote surgeries.
- Almost zero latency will provide seamless connectivity and fastest download until now. An HD movie can be downloaded in under 5 minutes.
- Handsets can control the laptop.
- Government bodies can monitor any part of the world. As a result, missing people can be tracked and easily found.
- Enables uninterrupted connectivity in the world.
- Identify natural calamities in advance.
Challenges Of 5G Technology
- Many areas in the world are not equipped to support this network.
- With high speed, the cost of a 5G network will also soar.
- Concerns around security and privacy are unresolved.
- Most of the current devices will need to be replaced by devices that support 5G network.
- Setting up 5G towers needs high investment.
- Since 5G towers need to be placed close to each other, the radiations have led to nose bleeds, eye strains, flu symptoms, headaches and nausea.
- Phone heating has caused considerable concern, and phone batteries can?t make it through the day.
- Towers will be built in areas where they will be consumed and can be purchased.
Every new technology will have challenges, and there will be modifications and upgrades to rectify or work around them. Nevertheless, while 5G is the latest buzz and Reliance Jio is set to introduce 5G network in the second half of this year. It is only a matter of time that we will truly experience the latest technologies. Get ready to get your hands on some futuristic gadgets and technology.