New technology: Rainwater harvesting, no energy used to save water!

Our earth is known as Blue planet as 71% of earth?s surface is covered with water. Water exists in different forms in different quantities. 97% of water is in the form of oceans, fresh lakes, glaciers, moist soil and even in atmosphere. Although water seems to be in abundant amount on earth only the remaining 3% is suitable for human use, known as fresh water. Increasing population leading to over urbanization is putting stress on our finite usable water resources further exploiting it by contaminating it with chemical toxins, sewage and other wastes. Mismanagement and negligence towards our finite source has led to water scarcity in India and around the world.

Taking steps towards water conservation on all levels is the only solution to this problem. Rainwater harvesting is one of the most effective and suitable method to save water.

Why rainwater harvesting?

Rainwater is the purest form of water we receive from nature directly. It is very important to save this form of pure water for future. Saving rainwater in this form is always efficient as one doesn?t have waste any energy in purifying it. In a country like India where the distribution of rain is not equal rainwater harvesting will help to replenish the decreasing ground water level.

How does it work?

Rainwater harvesting system captures rain water by directing it to a large surface normally from a rooftop of the house to an underground or over ground holding tank. The harvested rainwater is then slowly filtered then reaches the reservoir and pumped directly into the appliances or the header tank for domestic, agriculture or commercial purposes. Like gardening, irrigation, bath, showers etc. The chart of the processes goes by collection, filter, store and then reuse. Rainwater harvesting can be a small step done by individuals to reuse and save water. And when done on a larger scale it not only fulfils the requirements of the house but also improves the soil quality which reduces the chances of flood, soil erosion and contamination of surface water with pesticides or fertilizers from rainwater run-off which results in clearer lake and ponds. 2 states in India, follows rainwater harvesting in all houses. In Tamil Nadu rainwater harvesting was made compulsory to replenish the depleting ground water level. In Rajasthan rainwater harvesting is also practiced by general population to improve the quality of soil. And more people are starting to practice rainwater harvesting.

Top institutions:

? Diploma in Rainwater Harvesting & Artificial Recharge

AquaFoundation.in

? Programme on Advanced Rainwater Harvesting

cseindia.org

? Certificate in Water Harvesting and Management

IGNOU.ac

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!

Post Comment