World Vegan Day 2020: A Conscious Way Of Living!
I?m sure you are wondering what the World Vegan Day is all about. Don?t stress! This article will clear all your doubts. Veganism is not to be confused with vegetarianism.
Let?s understand the difference between a vegetarian and a vegan!
There are different types of vegetarian diets, such as:
- Lacto-Ovo vegetarian: These vegetarians eat dairy and egg products. However, they avoid animal meat.
- Lacto vegetarian: These vegetarians consume dairy products but avoid animal flesh and eggs.
- Ovo vegetarian: These are vegetarians consume eggs and avoid all animals and animal byproducts.
- Vegans: Vegans avoid all animals and animal products.
You could say a vegan follows a vegetarian diet; however, a vegetarian may or may not follow a vegan diet. While both diets follow some form of vegetarianism, veganism is a lifestyle. It extends beyond meals and includes what a person uses. It is against all forms of cruelty towards any living beings, humans and nature. Veganism looks for cruelty-free options.
World Vegan Day 2020
- Yes, you read it right. There is an actual day dedicated to this way of living. 1st November is observed as World Vegan Day.
World Vegan Day Theme
- Some of the themes you can follow are ?eat natural fruits?, ?meatless days?, ?end animal cruelty? and these can be coupled with vegan meals and desserts.
The History Of Veganism
- On 1st November 1944, a meeting was called to discuss on vegetarian diets. Over the years, this definition changed. However, in 1979 a clear definition was decided.
- In 1994, when the Vegan Society completed its 50th anniversary, Louise Wallis proposed a day to promote the vegan lifestyle.
Why Do People Opt For A Vegan Lifestyle Or Vegan Diet?
- Recently, veganism has become quite popular. The understanding is that we live with animals and birds, rather than see then as a means to an end. Animals are used to create many things that are consumed by human beings.
- By choosing this way of living, you decide not to use any fur based coats, leather, cosmetics, bags or accessories made from animals. Even dairy products are made from milk and milk is taken from cows, buffaloes, goats, etc. Wool is taken from sheep, llamas, etc. Even honey is taken from honeycombs.
- As a vegan, you would need to choose a cruelty-free life.
- This can be quite a challenge since humans have been hunting meals since the start of time.
- The food options are narrowed down to freshly available produce.
- There is a misconception attached to vegan food and lack of nutrition. If you have watched the documentary ?The Game Changers? you would have seen people who are living proof of this diet. There are famous sportsmen and fitness experts who swear by a plant-based diet.
- Ethics drives the intent behind choosing a vegan lifestyle.
- Compassion towards living beings is the backbone of this lifestyle.
- Even zoos, circuses and aquariums are looked down upon. Using animals to work or for entertainment purpose is a serious no-no.
- Veganism is an action that stems from a love of animals and respect for all living beings.
- A vegan lifestyle helps the environment. Many ecosystems are hampered by animal testing and dairy farms. Thus, vegans can reduce this impact on the environment.
How Should You Make The Switch To A Vegan Diet?
- Educate yourself about a vegan lifestyle.
- You may need to start checking labels of store-bought food, especially, packaged food.
- Make a list or a chart of the foods that will give you the essential vitamins, minerals and nutrients.
- Research testimonials of what has worked for other people.
- Once you have decided to make the switch, either go all in or gradually make the change. It?s up to you.
- Remind yourself why you chose to make a lifestyle switch.
- Remember, that just because you chose this path, not everyone around you will. And on several occasions, you may be dining with people whose lifestyle clashes with yours. You made your choice, and they made theirs. So refrain from condoning them.
- Join a Vegan community, and they?ll help you with the transition as well as sustaining the lifestyle.
- Support organizations that fight for animal rights.
- There are a plethora of reasons out there, but you need to choose yours.
Healthy Vegan Diet
- A vegan diet is a healthy diet.
- It consists of legumes, grains, fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds.
- This diet is high in vitamins, minerals, phytochemicals and fibre. It is rich in vitamins such as E, B1, C, iron, magnesium and folic acid.
- Vegan diets can even reduce the risk of diseases such as type 2 - diabetes, hypertension, stroke, certain cancers, cardiovascular disease and many more.
How Can You Celebrate The World Vegan Day?
- Food brings people together. Organize a social event and cook some delicious vegan food.
- Gather people and play a movie or documentary that supports your cause.
- Encourage animal adoption from pet centres.
- Be an advocate for veganism.
- Support a cause and interact with like-minded individuals.
- Spread the word about the benefits of going vegan.
- Propagate a conscious way of living.
- Choose nutrition over satisfying cravings or addictions.
- Bring back an ethical culture by supporting a better way of living.
Celebrate World Vegan Day 2020 and send us a video of how you saved the environment. Be an environment hero! You can begin today.