Neurology is a branch of medicine which deals with all conditions and disorders in the peripheral and central nervous system. It deals with all the treatments and diagnosis of the problem occurring in the nervous system including the covering of the nervous system, all blood vessels and the effectors’ tissues like muscles.
A person who is trained and specialized in diagnosing, treating and investigating the neurological disorders is called a neurologist. A neurologist does clinical trials, clinical research, and translation research. The neurologist checks the patient’s current health and health history in the neurological examination. The exam tests the mental status of the patient and the functioning of the cranial nerves, coordination, strength, sensation, and reflexes.
Neurological diseases can occur in any part of the nervous system. It can happen in brain, cranial nerves, spinal cord, neuromuscular junction, autonomic nervous system, and muscles. Neurological disorders can be of many types; some of them are epilepsy, brain tumors, migraine, alzheimer’s disease, neuro infection, multiple sclerosis, parkinson’s disease etc.
Neurological disorders can happen due to any reason. It may be genetic, due to an infection, some physical injury or due to nutrition-related problems.
SYMPTOMS OF NEUROLOGICAL DISEASES:
You need to concern a neurologist if you experience the following symptoms.
- Symptoms don’t need to be physical only. Emotional symptoms as such depression, sudden outburst, unusual mood swings can also be a cause of a neurological disorder.
- feeling complete or partial paralysis, difficulty in coordinating and balancing, weakness in muscles, headache.
- Feel of loss of sensation, having difficulty in writing and reading anything
- Tremors, slurred speech, poor coordination of tongue and brain.
PREVENTION OF NEUROLOGICAL DISORDERS:
- Regular exercise – Exercising is the first step to stay healthy. To maintain weight, exercise regularly. It helps to lower blood pressure and cure depression.
- Stay away from drugs, smoking, and tobacco products which harm the body and nervous system.
- Take balanced diet- take a low-fat balanced diet which contains a lot of vitamins such as B6, B12 to protect the nervous system. Include a lot of vegetables and fresh fruits in your diet.
- Drink water- Drink at least eight glass of water in a day; this will keep the body hydrated and will prevent memory problems. Reduce the intake of sugary and caffeinated drinks like coke and coffee; it affects sleep and dehydrates our body.