Gastroenterology is defined as the branch of medicine which deals with the digestive system that is, stomach and intestines. It includes study of its disorders.
The doctors who prevent, treat, and diagnose all the stomach and intestines diseases are known as Gastroenterologists. They also treat pancreas and liver diseases. To become Gastroenterologists at least 13 years of study and training is required.
CAUSES OF GASTROENTERITIS:
Gastroenteritis can happen due to many reasons. Some are:
- When we eat contaminated food or drink unpurified water.
- When we contact someone physically who has the virus causing gastroenteritis. Rotavirus and Norovirus are the main viruses which cause gastroenteritis.
- When we don’t wash hands after changing a diaper or after using the bathroom.
There are many other things which cause gastroenteritis.
Presence of heavy metals such as mercury, lead, or cadmium in drinking water, toxins which can be found in some seafood, drugs such as laxatives and antacids and chemotherapy, Consumption of acidic foods like tomatoes, lemon, and citrus fruit in high quantity can also cause it.
SYMPTOMS OF GASTROENTERITIS:
When any of the following symptoms are found, we should immediately contact the doctor.
- In gastroenteritis, you suffer from vomiting and watery diarrhea.
- Having a fever, stomach pain, nausea, headache, and cramping are some common symptoms of gastroenteritis.
- Gastroenteritis also causes dehydration, due to which our skin becomes dry and we can feel dry mouth, thirst and lightheadedness.
HOW TO PREVENT GASTROENTERITIS?
- Chronic problems such as gallstones, Crohn’s disease, celiac disease and acid reflux indicates health issues and these problems require medical attention. These chronic problems can not be cured at home and require a visit to the doctor.
- If you feel bloody stools, unintentional weight loss, abdominal pain then you need to contact a doctor as soon as possible.
- The best way to prevent gastroenteritis is to drink a lot of water. Water helps our digestive system to consume nutrients from the food more easily by helping our body to break down the food that we eat. When we drink water, it cleanses our entire digestive system, and clean healthy digestive system means no gastroenteritis diseases. We should drink at least eight glasses of water in a day.
- To prevent gastroenteritis we should eat too much of sugary foods such as sweets and chocolates and also avoid drinking sugary drinks such as cold drinks. Added artificial sugars can harm our digestive system making the digestion problems worse.