Would you like to pursue a career as a Cardiothoracic Surgeon? This article will light the way ahead for you.
A cardiothoracic surgeon is a medical doctor who specializes in surgical procedures of the heart, lungs, esophagus, and other organs in the chest. This includes surgeons who can be called cardiac surgeons, cardiovascular surgeons, general thoracic surgeons, and congenital heart surgeons.
Heart surgeons have been trained to perform surgery on the heart, lungs, esophagus, blood vessels and other organs in the thoracic cavity. These medical professionals conduct tests on patients to determine whether they have any conditions within the heart or vessels that need treatment. In addition to performing complicated surgeries, heart surgeons must conduct follow-up visits with patients and help them manage their overall health.
A cardiac or cardiovascular surgeon could treat a coronary artery disease or blockages of the arteries in the heart, blockages in the heart valve, leaking heart valve, abnormal enlargement or aneurysms of the large arteries in the chest, heart failure and atrial fibrillation. Monitoring patients in intensive care is an important part of a cardiothoracic surgeon’s work. Although cardiothoracic surgery is very safe, complications can sometimes occur, including heart-beat irregularity (arrhythmias), stroke, post-operative bleeding, fluid around the lungs, infection, or thrombosis.
Eligibility Criteria and Higher Studies
M.S. (General Surgery) can be pursued by those candidates who have completed M.B.B.S./B.D.S. from the colleges recognized by the Medical Council/Dental Council of India and should have completed an internship. The candidate should have obtained full registration either from MCI or any of the state council.
You need to clear the entrance exams for M.S. General Surgery UP PGMEE, AIPGMEE or DUPGMET.
Objectives of pursuing this course:
• To develop the requisite technical skills in surgery with optimum efficiency while developing other surgical qualities including a commitment to lifelong learning, research, teaching, ethics and professionalism.
• To impart sub- specialist expertise in cardiothoracic surgery to surgeons who have completed cardiothoracic specialist training.
• To train residents to acquire the competency of a specialist in the field so that they can become good teachers, researchers and clinicians in their specialty after completion of their training.
• To prepare expert, Board-certified surgeons specializing in care and treatment of the heart, lungs, and blood vessels.
Curriculum and Core Subjects
|General Surgery||7 Months|
|Radiology and Radiotherapy||1 Month|
|Ortho and Traumatology: i. Ortho – 1 Month & ii. Traumatology – 2 Months||3 Months|
|(a) General Surgery||7 Months|
|(b)Neuro Surgery||1 Month|
|(c) Plastic Surgery||1 Month|
|(d) Paediatric Surgery||1 Month|
|(e) Cardio-Thoracic||1 Month|
|(f) Urology||1 Month|
|(a) General Surgery||9 Months|
|(b) Intensive Coaching||3 Month|
The training given with due care to the Post Graduate students in the recognized institutions for the award of M.S. shall determine the expertise of the specialist and or medical teachers produced because of the educational program during the period of stay in the institution.
All candidates joining the MS Training Program shall work as full-time residents during the period of training, attending not less than 80% (Eighty percent) of the training during each calendar year, and given full-time responsibility, assignments and participation in all facets of the educational process.
Training in Medical Audit, Management, Health Economics, Health Information System, basics of statistics, exposure to human behaviour studies, knowledge of pharmacoeconomics and introduction to non-linear mathematics shall be imparted to the students.
• Medical Foundation/Trust
• Non-Profit Organizations
• Private Practice
• Research Institutes
Careers Related to The Field (On completion of M.S. General Surgery)
• Endocrine Surgeon
• Lab Technician
• Paediatric Surgeon
• Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon
• Resident (General Surgery) Cardiothoracic Surgeon
• Upper Gastro-intestinal Surgeon
• Urological Surgeon
• Vascular Surgeon
The average starting salary is Rs. 3 to 12 Lacs per annum
• All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi
• Armed Forces Medical College, Pune
• Christian Medical College, Tamil Nadu
• Maulana Azad Medical College, New Delhi