If you’ve had a dream of saving the environment, then put on your cape as you get ready to embark on this journey…
Look around and you’ll notice various appliances, processed foods, equipment, soaps, shampoos and so on used in your household are manufactured by a specific industry. While production and manufacturing are ongoing processes, they create lot of pollution. Environmental engineering is a branch of engineering that focuses on protecting the environment by reducing pollution.
An environmental engineer maintains an eco friendly environment using the understanding of engineering, soil, science and so on to solve the posing threats to the environment. They prevent, control and rectify various hazards to protect the air, water, soil and human life. There are various laws in place for protection of the environment. The environment engineer has to ensure the company practices are compliant to those laws. Various environmental engineers are hired during various projects to ensure the company is compliant to the regulations.
Role of an Environmental Engineer:
• Prepare and update investigation reports.
• Design solutions that protect the environment.
• Get permissions for various procedures to be undertaken.
• Do relevant control checks on a timely basis
• Advice on various remedial measures for plastic waste management, reduce air pollution, reduce water pollution
• Monitor the progress of environmental improvement programs.
• Eligibility Criteria and Higher Studies
• B. Tech. Engineering is a 4 year education program that enables aspiring students to work for the betterment for the environment and improve the use of renewable and non-renewable sources available. The basic eligibility for admission to the program is a pass in 10+2 with Maths, Physics, and Chemistry as main subjects.
To get admission in B. Tech Environmental Engineering, the candidate has to clear the entrance test conducted by different colleges and universities, such as:
• Entrance Test
• Group Discussion / Personal Interview
• Admission / Counselling
The skills that are tested in the entrance exam are:
• Quantitative Aptitude
• Language and Reading Comprehension
Curriculum and Core Subjects
|Sr No.||Subject||Topics Covered||Description|
|1||Fluid Mechanics||Fluid and continuum, Types of fluid flows, Potential Flow, Equation of motion for laminar flow through pipes, Boundary layer thickness||Equation of Motion, Rheology of fluids, molecular flows are taught in this subject.|
|2||Environmental Chemistry and Microbiology||Introduction to environmental chemistry, Introduction to microbiology, Chemistry of water and waste water, Chemistry of the air environment, Environmental Microbiology, Pure and mixed cultures||Basic principles of microbial transformation, aerobic and anaerobic metabolism and introduction to environmental studies are the main topics.|
|3||Environmental Engineering Process||Classification of Pollutants, Physical Treatment Principles, Chemical Treatment Principles, Biological Treatment Principles, Sludge Treatment and Disposal||Details of all the processes is involved in Environmental Engineering are the main topics of this subject.|
|4||Principles of Environmental Science & Technology||Introduction, Biological Systems, Microbiology of Environment, Chemistry of Aquatics, Chemistry of Atmosphere||Structure of Environment, Biological systems are taught in this subject.|
|5||Water Supply and Treatment Engineering||Characteristics of water, Filtration, Adsorption, Water Supply Engineering, Conveyance of water||Water treatment topics are covered in this subject.|
|6||Air Pollution and Control Engineering||Air pollution, Air pollution chemistry, Ambient air quality and standards, Introduction to air pollution control, Control of gaseous contaminants||Air pollution and its related topics are covered in this subject.|
|7||Solid Waste Management||Solid waste, Transportation, Land filling, Composting||Complete study about Solid waste management is taught in this subject.|
|8||Geoinformatics||Aerial Photographs, Remote Sensing, Satellite Image, Basic concepts of geographic data, Global Navigation Satellite System||Basic Concepts about geographic data is given in this subject.|
M. Tech/M.E. in Environmental Engineering
Chemical, Petroleum, Mining and Biological fields
Careers Related To The Field
There are various careers in environmental engineering:
• Seismic Acquisition Consultant
• Lead Project Engineer
• Senior ROV Technician
• Technical Engineering Manager
• Super yacht Housekeeper
• Drilling Personnel
• Marine Mammal Observer
• Reservoir Engineer
A licensed environmental engineer salary earns Rs. 1 lakh per month on an average.
• IIT Kharagpur, Kharagpur
• Ch BP Government Engineering College, New Delhi
• Shri Jayachamarajendra College of Engineering, Mysore
• Hindustan College of Science and Technology, Mathura
• L.D. College of Engineering, Ahmedabad
• Dr. S & S.S. Ghandhy Government Engineering College, Surat