Students, let’s get ready to learn what does a medical technologist does?
A medical technologist is in charge of preparing and analyzing the results of blood and bodily fluids. These highly-skilled professionals mostly work in hospitals and independent laboratories. Duties include collecting, testing, and recording samples. Study and research is devoted to the goal of preventing or treating diseases. While preparing for a career in medical technology, students spend extensive time in laboratories, gaining practical experience.
As a medical technologist you will need soft skills. Excellent listening skills will allow you to communicate with patients and fellow medical personnel. You must be able to identify problems and solve them. Critical thinking will allow you to determine your options when making decisions or solving problems, compare them and then choose the one with the most promising outcome. Attention to detail is of the utmost importance when conducting testing procedures. You must be able to understand and follow physicians’ written instructions.
The role of a medical technologist includes:
• Collect and prepare blood, urine and tissue samples for analysis.
• Examine collected samples and identify any cell abnormalities.
• Maintain laboratory inventory levels and if necessary, place orders for new supplies.
• Prepare detailed reports about your test results and findings.
• Document and review tested data.
• Ensure all tissue samples are prepped for examination.
• Collaborate with pathologist and other medical specialists to determine correct diagnosis if cell abnormalities are discovered.
• Maintain a safe and clean working environment by adhering to safety procedures and regulations.
• Present test results to physicians, researchers or patients.
Some of B.Sc. Medical Technology Specializations are:
• Cardiac Care Technology
• Respiratory Therapy
• Dialysis Technology
• Imaging Sciences Technology
• Clinical Lab. Technology
• Operation Theatre and Anesthesia Technology
Eligibility Criteria and Higher Studies
A candidate who has passed 10+2 with minimum 45% marks in aggregate (40% in case of SC / ST candidate) or any other equivalent qualification.
Curriculum and Core Subjects
Syllabus of B.Sc. Medical Technology as prescribed by various Universities and Colleges:
|Sr. No.||Subjects of Study|
|1||Introduction to Medical Technology|
|2||Introduction to Microbiology|
|1||Fundamentals of Medical Technology|
|2||Basics of Microbiology|
Practicals (Sem. I)
|1||Study of Microscope|
|2||Study of Bacterial motility|
|5||Acid – fast Staining|
|6||Effect of Sterilization by dry heat & Moist heat|
|7||Effect of Disinfectants & Antiseptics|
|8||Measurement & Adjustment of pH|
|9||Study of Hay Infusion by Wet mount technique|
Practicals (Sem. II)
|1||Study of different Specimen Collection, Handling & Transport|
|2||Preparation of Standard Solutions|
|3||Preparation of Buffers|
|4||Preparation of Anticoagulants|
|5||Preparation of Quality Control Charts (S.D., C.V., L.J. Chart)|
|6||Preparation of Nutrient broth & media|
|7||Cultivation of Bacteria by broth / Stab / Slant|
|8||Study of Cultural characteristics of Microorganism|
|11||Preparation of Hypochlorite solution for biomedical waste disposal|
Once you’ve completed your B.Sc. in Medical Technology, you can pursue M.Sc. in Medical Technology and specialize in a field of your choice:
• Cardiac Care
• Respiratory Therapy
• Medical Imaging
• Clinical Laboratory
• Dialysis & Renal Technology
• OT & Anesthesia Technology
• Colleges & Universities
• Healthcare & Diagnostic Sectors
• Research and Biotechnology Centres
• Medical Labs
• Medical Equipment Manufacturing Companies
Careers Related to The Field
• R&D Lab Technicians
• Lab Technician
• X-Ray Technician
• Radiologist Assistant
• Ultrasound Technician
• Radiologic Technologist
• Nuclear Medicine Technologist
The average annual salary is Rs. 96,000 to Rs. 6 lakhs.
• Teerthanker Mahaveer University, Moradabad
• Jawaharlal Institute of Post Graduate Medical Education and Research, Pondicherry
• Sri Ramachandra University, Chennai
• Symbiosis International University, Pune
• Baba Farid University of Health Sciences, Faridkot
• Pandit Bhagwat Dayal Sharma University of Health Sciences, Rohtak
• Arunachal University of Studies, Lohit
• Om Sai Paramedical College, Ambala
• Parul University, Vadodara
• C. U. Shah University, Wadhwan
• Thiruvalluvar University, Vellore
• Kidwai Memorial Institute of Oncology, Bangalore
• Yenepoya Medical College, Mangalore