Career Information: Become a Recreational Therapist!
Maybe you already know about occupational or physical therapy, but this article introduces you to another form of therapy and a terrific career.
You're a people's person, which is why you are drawn to health care. Recreational therapy gives a greater opportunity for you to parlay your people skills into fun and to fulfill a career that's likely to grow even more. Still unsure if this is the right career path? Then let's dig into the article to get information about recreational therapists.
What does a recreational therapist do?
Recreational therapists direct, plan, and coordinate recreation-based treatment programs for people with injuries, illnesses, or disabilities. These therapists use a variety of modalities, including drama, music and dance, sports and games, arts and crafts, aquatics, and community outings, to help maintain or improve patient's physical, emotional, and social well-being.
Eligibility Criteria and Higher Studies
Recreational therapists must need a bachelor's degree in programs available related to the field. After obtaining the bachelor's degree, you can then pursue any master's or doctoral degree to work in better organizations.
Recreational Therapists Skills Required
Some of the specific qualities are:
- Critical-Thinking Skills
- Leadership Skills
- Listening Skills
- Good Communication Skills
Curriculum and Core Subjects
The bachelor's program in recreational therapy comprises 120 credit hours.
General Education Requirements-
Students are required to complete 30 credit hours as a part of the program.
Recreational Therapy Major Requirements-
The bachelor of science in recreational therapy, including the concentration and field experience, is a 120 credit program.
Some of the core subjects studied are:
- Art therapy
- Recreation and leisure research methods
- Leisure management theory and practice
- Therapeutic recreation program development
- Recreation and leisure trends and issues
- Recreational therapy finance management
Recreational Therapists Job Prospects
Some of the job prospects are:
- Athletic Trainers
- Occupational Therapists
- Physical Therapists
- Exercise Physiologists
- School and Career Counselors
- Social Workers
- Rehabilitation Counselors
Recreational Therapists Salary
Recreational Therapists, on average, can earn a salary ranging from Rs. 3 lakh to Rs. 6 lakh annually.
Recreational Therapy universities in India are:
- Hamdard Institute of Medical Sciences and Research, New Delhi
- Seth GS Medical College, Mumbai
- Manipal Academy of Higher Education, Manipal
- SRM Institute of Science and Technology, Chennai
- Topiwala National Medical College and BYL Nair Charitable Hospital, Mumbai
- Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University, Delhi
- Lokmanya Tilak Municipal Medical College, Mumbai
- Goa Medical College, Panaji
- Jamia Hamdard, New Delhi
- Government Medical College, Nagpur