Career Preparation: How to Become an Animal Caretaker!
Animal caretakers care about the needs of animals. They feed, groom, water, bathe and exercise pets and other non-farm animals. Animal caretakers work in a variety of settings, including kennels, stables, animal shelters, pet stores, zoos, veterinary clinics, and aquariums. Let's dig into the article to get information about animal caretakers.
What does an animal caretaker do?
Animal caretakers play with the animals, observes behavioural changes that indicate illness or injury, and provide companionship. They also clean, repair and disinfect the animal cages.
Animal caretakers typically do the following:
- Feed and give water to animals
- Train animals to obey and listen to commands
- Clean equipment and the living spaces of animals.
- Monitor animals and record information such as their diet, physical condition, and behaviour.
- Examine animals for signs of illness or injury
- Exercise animals
- Bathe animals, clip hair, trim nails and attend to other grooming needs
Non-farm animal caretakers work with dogs and cats in animal shelters or rescue leagues. Caretakers attend the basic needs of animals. Still, more experienced ones may have more responsibilities, such as euthanize animals under the direction of a veterinarian or helping to vaccinate. Caretakers also may have administrative duties, such as answering questions from the public, keeping records on the animals, screening people who want to adopt an animal or educating visitors about pet health.
Few animal caretakers also work as animal trainers who train animals for security, performance, riding, obedience or assisting people with disabilities. Caretakers familiarize animals with human voices and contact, and they also teach animals to respond to commands. They mostly work with horses and dogs, but some work with marine mammals as well.
Eligibility Criteria and Higher Studies
This career has no set academic requirements to become an animal care assistant, although some employers do ask for qualifications such as 10+2 clear or their equivalent. Concern and real enthusiasm for the welfare of animals is essential, along with zeal to learn about general animal care. However, there is a course titled Animal Science, which the candidates can apply for.
Curriculum and Core Subjects of Animal Science :
Some of the core subjects are:
- Animal Nutrition
- Research Methods and Statistics
- Elements of Livestock Production
- Animal Genetics
- Animal Physiology and Diseases
- Equine Production
- Agribusiness Principles
- Beef Cattle Management
Animal Caretakers Skills Required
Specific Skills Required are:
- Good Interpersonal Skills
- Good Communication Skills
- Time Management Skills
- Love for Animals
Animal Caretakers Job Prospects
Some of the job prospects are:
- Kennel attendant, pet sitter and dog walker
- Veterinary assistant
- Laboratory animal caretaker
- Veterinary technicians
- Animal control worker
- Conservation and forest technicians
Animal Caretakers Salary
Animal caretakers, on average, can earn a salary ranging from Rs. 3 lakh to Rs. 5 lakh annually.
Some of the top universities in India are:
- Rajiv Gandhi College of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, Pondicherry
- Kerala Veterinary College and Research Institute, Thrissur
- College of Veterinary Science and Animal Husbandry, Banaskantha
- College of Veterinary Science and Animal Sciences Pookot, Wayanad