Career Guide | How to become a counsellor
If you're thinking of becoming a counselor, but don't have a clue on how to go about it, then fear not! You are at the right place. If you are passionate about helping people and encouraging them to find paths to make positive changes in their lives, then this career is meant for you.
Eligibility Criteria and Higher Studies
Aspiring candidates must hold a degree in Psychology or any other field related to it. After graduating, two-years master's degree program is a must. These programs may require a one-year internship.
Curriculum and Core Subjects
Some of the core subjects studied are:
- Social Anthropology
- Social Care
Careers Related to the Field
Some of the careers related to the field are:
- Drug & Alcohol Counselor
- Occupational Therapist Assistant
- Marriage Therapist
- Mental Health Counselor
- Rehabilitation Counselor
In India, the average salary of a Counselor can range from Rs. 3 lakh to Rs. 5 lakh per annum.
Some of the top universities are:
- MCMDAV College for Women, Chandigarh
- Sophia College for Women, Mumbai
- Symbiosis College of Arts and Commerce, Pune
- Jamia Milia Islamia, New Delhi
- Christ University, Bengaluru
- Mount Carmel High School and Junior College, Maharashtra