Bridge Damage Control Due To Water Overflow: Find Out The New Techniques!
First let?s try and understand how water pressure poses to be a threat for architectural constructions like water bridges.
How Bridges Are Compromised By Water:
- Let?s start by looking at how bridges can be damaged by floods: Large items, such trees, vehicles, appliances, or even whole structures, get picked up by flood water and slammed into a support pier, road bed, or other part of a bridge, causing structural damage.
- Smaller pieces of debris accumulate upstream from a bridge, forming a large mass. The bundle moves downstream, lodges on the side of the bridge, and applies pressure to it, compromising its structural integrity.
- An accumulation of debris limits the flow of water around a bridge. Concentrating water flow raises its height and increases the pressure it applies to the structure.
- Water rises above the roadbed, tearing out the asphalt and other vulnerable parts of the structure.
- Water levels rise on the roads leading onto a bridge, damaging the connectors that anchor it in place.
Did you know? The main reason many bridges are destroyed by floods is because of a phenomenon known as scour.
When a bridge over a river or stream is built on a bed of gravel, racing floodwater ?scours away? the bed downstream from its piers, weakening their ability to hold up the structure. At the same time, floodwater and the elements carried in it put pressure on the bridge.
This effect is magnified on a bridge with multiple supports because each one causes scour to happen, weakening many sections of the structure. Multiple supports can also increase the ?damming effect? on a bridge. Objects are more likely to get caught on narrowly spaced piers, becoming larger masses that place more pressure on the structure.
In the end, the most common reasons bridges ultimately fail during floods are:
- Water, salt, or debris damages critical parts of the structure.
- Pressure from water or debris breaks apart the bracing system.
- Water lifts the structure off its supports.
- Piers or abutments are knocked out by large debris, such as boats or vehicles that get caught in rapidly flowing water.
- Extreme scour compromises the foundation.
- Approach roads are cut, weakening structural supports.
ABOUT THE PROJECT:
The bridge damage controlling invention is a big leap in the field of science and road safety. The machine is fit onto the bridge in a way that it sends out an alert as soon as the sea water crosses the average sea level and starts to increase. The buzzer starts to make an alerting sound and flashes a red light at both the ends of the bridge which enable the vehicles to know that there is danger ahead and you might not want to cross the bridge during high tide. The system works on solar power and thus it saves electricity. It also sends out an alert when the bridge is about to collapse. A system like this can prevent fatal accidents from happening. It can save a hundred lives at once if used effectively. Thus, technological advancement can work in our benefit.
DAMAGE CONTROL SPECIALISTS:
- Assists disaster preparedness officer in preparation and monitoring of disaster preparedness plans and procedures: Inspects protective equipment to determine operational readiness.
- Directs personnel in repair of equipment.
- Directs location, marking, and stocking of radiation shelters.
- Confers with superiors and civil defense personnel to provide information on radiological monitoring and survey; biological and chemical weapons and effects; protective measures and decontamination methods; and biological, chemical, and nuclear accident control to assist superior in development of local emergency plans.
- Tests suspected area to detect presence of toxic agents, using chemical detection equipment and identifies type of chemical agent.
- Tests areas for radioactive contamination, using portable measuring instruments.
- Collects biological samples and tests and identifies biological agents.
- Plots area of contamination on map.
- Informs superior of contaminated area and type of contamination.
- Recommends to superior method to be followed to decontaminate personnel, equipment, and area.
- Informs superior when decontamination has been completed.
- Conducts training in methods and techniques of defense during chemical, biological, and nuclear warfare.
INSTITUTE NAME: New English School Jamner